Friday, October 14, 2011

A Good Book Has No Ending --R.D. Cumming


                                                                             

I just read the new children's book, ORANI, by Claire Nivola. She is a wonderful writer and an even more talented artist.  ORANI is about a village in Sardinia where her father grew up before WW2. Her father, the artist Constantino Nivola, came to American during the war and settled in NY. There he  met her mother, also a refugee from Europe.  As a child, Claire visited Sardinia with her family and, this book describes her impressions of life there. My 9year-old loved the book and wants to know when we can go to Italy. 

K6 says this reminds her of Ireland (Co.Kerry)
                      
I love her use of blue in the book
                         
also...





Nivola's book, ELISABETH,is one of my FAVORITE books for children.  A MUST READ!!
ELISABETH tells the story of her mother's journey to America from Germany just before the war.  As a Jew, she is forced to flee for her life and leave all she loves behind.  I won't tell you the amazing and true ending to the book.  I cry every time I read this book......very touching.

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment